San Francisco News
Caltrans celebrates El Camino anniversary
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A celebration took place Wednesday for an iconic symbol of California's legendary El Camino Real.
Dozens turned out to mark the 100th anniversary of the mission bell markers that have lined the historic route that stretches from San Diego to the Bay Area.
Volunteers also unveiled a new centennial bell in downtown San Francisco.
At one time, some 450 markers lined the route that is now Highway 101, but by the late 90s, only 100 remained. Now, thanks to Caltrans and volunteer efforts, some 555 new bells have been installed.
US 101, san francisco news
- Four in the South Bay die due to cold weather 10 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Apple wants Samsung to pay $22M for legal bills
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Judge refuses to block AA, US Airways merger
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Banksy mural fetches $209K at California auction
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: 5 unexpected facts about Nelson Mandela
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Meet this week's Perfect Pet
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos