San Francisco News
Caltrans celebrates El Camino anniversary
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A celebration took place Wednesday for an iconic symbol of California's legendary El Camino Real.
Dozens turned out to mark the 100th anniversary of the mission bell markers that have lined the historic route that stretches from San Diego to the Bay Area.
Volunteers also unveiled a new centennial bell in downtown San Francisco.
At one time, some 450 markers lined the route that is now Highway 101, but by the late 90s, only 100 remained. Now, thanks to Caltrans and volunteer efforts, some 555 new bells have been installed.
US 101, san francisco news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing 47 min ago
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Astronauts discuss impact of social media in space
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno...
47 min ago