San Francisco News
Caltrans celebrates El Camino anniversary
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A celebration took place Wednesday for an iconic symbol of California's legendary El Camino Real.
Dozens turned out to mark the 100th anniversary of the mission bell markers that have lined the historic route that stretches from San Diego to the Bay Area.
Volunteers also unveiled a new centennial bell in downtown San Francisco.
At one time, some 450 markers lined the route that is now Highway 101, but by the late 90s, only 100 remained. Now, thanks to Caltrans and volunteer efforts, some 555 new bells have been installed.
US 101, san francisco news
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival 28 min ago
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun 28 min ago
- Man prefers 3D-printed hand to pricey prostheses 11 min ago
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher 32 min ago
- Mom bites dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos