San Francisco News
Climate activists to rally outside Danish Consulate
SAN FRANCISCO -- Climate activists will be holding a rally and candlelight vigil tonight in front of the Royal Danish Consulate in San Francisco to demand action on climate change at the United Nations climate change summit in Copenhagen.
The event is being organized by the group Mobilization for Climate Justice. Speakers scheduled to attend include Marc Andrus, Episcopal Bishop of California, and officials from other environmental groups.
Members of Mobilization for Climate Justice met with Danish Consul Officer Helle Van Brunt today to present a letter asking for updates on the status of prisoners connected to protests outside the climate talks and non-governmental organizations denied entry to the summit.
The UN summit will conclude today, and a spokesman for Mobilization for Climate Justice said the group are not confident the talks will lead to strong action by the group of nations to address climate change.
It's "fairly shocking that they shut these groups out, so people are pretty unhappy about where things are headed," group spokesman David Solnit said.
The rally is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m. outside the consulate, located at 1 California St.
global warming, united nations, san francisco news
- San Leandro police search for missing 10-year-old boy 16 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 48 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 3 min ago
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Tips for spotting counterfeit bills
39 min ago