San Francisco News
Sea lions disappear from Pier 39 in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- There is something missing at Pier 39 in San Francisco -- most of the famous sea lions are gone.
The majority of the herd took off, most likely chasing a food source. The ones that are tagged are showing up south of Monterey.
There were more than 1,500 sea lions at Pier 39 up until Thanksgiving, a new record.
Then their numbers dwindled almost overnight.
A spokesperson for the Marine Mammal Center says changes in currents or water temperature may have changed where the food sources are. Sea lions mostly feed on herring in the winter months.
The harbor master thinks they will return in a month or two.
animal, san francisco news
- Man killed after metal pipe crashes into car on I-580 8 min ago
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town 50 min ago
- Passenger vehicles face surprise inspections at SFO 45 min ago
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose 28 min ago
- UK official: London attack could be terror-related
- FBI: Man fatally shot in Boston bombing probe
- IRS official Lois Lerner: I did nothing wrong 37 min ago
- Events planned to mark Harvey Milk Day 18 min ago
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Historic Livermore light bulb briefly turns off
- Rankings released of best and worst airlines
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs 6 min ago
- roundup: Boy nearly run-over; Oklahoma aid
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Obama to visit tornado-ravaged Oklahoma town
50 min ago