San Francisco News
Sea lions disappear from Pier 39 in SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- There is something missing at Pier 39 in San Francisco -- most of the famous sea lions are gone.
The majority of the herd took off, most likely chasing a food source. The ones that are tagged are showing up south of Monterey.
There were more than 1,500 sea lions at Pier 39 up until Thanksgiving, a new record.
Then their numbers dwindled almost overnight.
A spokesperson for the Marine Mammal Center says changes in currents or water temperature may have changed where the food sources are. Sea lions mostly feed on herring in the winter months.
The harbor master thinks they will return in a month or two.
animal, san francisco news
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore 33 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 52 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual 25 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims 11 min ago
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos