San Francisco News
Lockdown lifted at school in the Bayview
SAN FRANCISCO -- Armed suspects were apparently targeting private security guards when bullets shattered a car this morning in San Francisco's Bayview District, prompting a brief lockdown of a nearby elementary school.
The windows of a white Dodge Charger were shot out at about 10:20 a.m. near the intersection of Keith Street and Newcomb Avenue, police spokesman Officer Samson Chan said.
Chan said about 10 shots were fired. The vehicle was occupied by two security guards and moving at the time, but no one was injured, he said.
The shooting occurred about a block from George Washington Carver Elementary School, which was locked down until about 12:40 p.m. Several people were later detained for questioning, Chan said. The shooting is still under investigation.
According to Chan, some of the public housing communities in the Bayview District hire private uniformed security guards to protect the area. The guards are armed, he said.
During the George Washington Carver school lockdown, classes continued inside, but no one was allowed to enter or exit the building, San Francisco Unified School District spokeswoman Gentle Blythe said.
Blythe said the lockdown was just a precaution and that school staff members are familiar with the procedure because police activity in the area is fairly common.
"The school is really a safe haven in that neighborhood for those children," she said. "Violence around the school has never entered the school, that I know of."
school lockdown, san francisco news
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery 26 min ago
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting 32 min ago
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- State senator to introduce utility security legislation
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley 51 min ago
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash
- Campaign looks to end use of 'bossy' with...
41 min ago