San Francisco News
Lockdown lifted at school in the Bayview
SAN FRANCISCO -- Armed suspects were apparently targeting private security guards when bullets shattered a car this morning in San Francisco's Bayview District, prompting a brief lockdown of a nearby elementary school.
The windows of a white Dodge Charger were shot out at about 10:20 a.m. near the intersection of Keith Street and Newcomb Avenue, police spokesman Officer Samson Chan said.
Chan said about 10 shots were fired. The vehicle was occupied by two security guards and moving at the time, but no one was injured, he said.
The shooting occurred about a block from George Washington Carver Elementary School, which was locked down until about 12:40 p.m. Several people were later detained for questioning, Chan said. The shooting is still under investigation.
According to Chan, some of the public housing communities in the Bayview District hire private uniformed security guards to protect the area. The guards are armed, he said.
During the George Washington Carver school lockdown, classes continued inside, but no one was allowed to enter or exit the building, San Francisco Unified School District spokeswoman Gentle Blythe said.
Blythe said the lockdown was just a precaution and that school staff members are familiar with the procedure because police activity in the area is fairly common.
"The school is really a safe haven in that neighborhood for those children," she said. "Violence around the school has never entered the school, that I know of."
school lockdown, san francisco news
- Secret Service investigating big Target data breach 47 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- SUV crashes into gas station in Oakland 22 min ago
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos