San Francisco News
Vets remembered at Presidio on Memorial Day
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- People in the Bay Area and across the country took time Monday to pay tribute to those who served the nation in war and lost their lives.
Memorials have been held at the Presidio in San Francisco for 142 years. More than 2,000 visitors were expected to visit Monday to honor the dead from all of America's wars.
Per tradition, it all started with a parade. Teenage cadets marched alongside active duty service members as well as veterans discharged long ago.
The soldiers and sailors buried at the Presidio made the ultimate sacrifice. Their history dates back to the Mexican American War of 1846 through the Civil War, and wars of the 20th century.
35,000 veterans and some of their family members are buried at the Presidio. Many went off to war in the prime of their lives. One vet wounded five times in Vietnam told ABC7 he wants people to think consider that fact, if they think Memorial Day is only for picnics and parades.
"For them, it's just a day off. For people who have served in the military or have friends or family who served in the military, it's an important day that they honor the people who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country," said Vietnam veteran Michael Thompson.
Speeches were planned Monday by people including Congresswoman Jackie Spier, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom and State Senator Leland Yee of San Francisco.
memorial day, presidio, san francisco news, eric thomas
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations 19 min ago
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO 43 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting 50 min ago
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online 34 min ago
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
43 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to...
50 min ago