San Francisco News
Man charged with attempted murder for cyclist attacks
SAN FRANCISCO -- Prosecutors today charged a 39-year-old East Bay man with attempted murder for allegedly running down four male bicyclists with his car in San Francisco last week.
The four bicyclists were all struck within a six-minute period between 9:43 p.m. and 9:49 p.m. Wednesday in the city's Mission and Potrero Hill neighborhoods.
Police arrested David Mark Clark, of Albany, Friday after he went to the Albany Police Station to report his car had been carjacked, police said.
The San Francisco District Attorney's Office today charged Clark with 11 felonies -- four counts each of attempted murder, four counts of assault with a deadly weapon and three counts of battery causing serious bodily injury -- according to spokeswoman Erica Derryck.
Police said Friday a motive is still unknown for why Clark allegedly targeted the bicyclists.
According to sheriff's department spokeswoman Eileen Hirst, Clark is being held under observation at the county jail's psychiatric unit.
He is expected to be arraigned in San Francisco Superior Court Tuesday morning.
A blue Nissan Rogue sport-utility vehicle first hit a 40-year-old man in the 2700 block of Harrison Street; then a 33-year-old man in the 2800 block of Harrison Street; a 39-year-old man at the intersection of 23rd and Pennsylvania streets; and a 25-year-old man at 17th and Missouri streets, according to police.
Three of the victims were hospitalized. Two have since been released, while the third remained in the hospital today in serious condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.
After the last collision, the Rogue crashed into a parked car and hit a pole, police said. The driver then got out and ran, leaving his wallet, keys and cell phone inside.
Those items were later traced to Clark, police said.
Police investigators said that based on accounts of the victims and of witnesses, it appeared the bicyclists had been deliberately struck.
According to some accounts, the suspect was seen driving on the wrong side of the road and the car's engine was roaring as it came at the bicyclist, investigators said.
san francisco bay, albany, san francisco news
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall 23 min ago
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Bay Bridge bike path temporarily closed for work 30 min ago
- Blogger mom finds stolen photos on pornography site 10 min ago
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge 20 min ago
- Scrabble asks fans to choose new word for dictionary
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed 49 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Blogger mom finds stolen photos on...
10 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos