San Francisco News
Swim from Farallones to Golden Gate falls short
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A team of Bay Area swimmers Saturday came up short in their attempt to complete the first-ever relay swim between the Farallon Islands and the Golden Gate Bridge without wetsuits.
The six swimmers got about one-third of the way into the 30 mile swim but it simply got too cold and one of the swimmers started suffering from hypothermia.
"It was rough; I think we all kind of expected it, the water was cold, 49 degrees, so it was a cold swim," swimmer Michelle Deasy said.
The team is promising to try a second attempt again soon.
farallon islands, golden gate bridge, san francisco news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- Consumer Reports tests toothbrushes
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Two injured in accident on Almaden Expressway
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown