San Francisco News
Swim from Farallones to Golden Gate falls short
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A team of Bay Area swimmers Saturday came up short in their attempt to complete the first-ever relay swim between the Farallon Islands and the Golden Gate Bridge without wetsuits.
The six swimmers got about one-third of the way into the 30 mile swim but it simply got too cold and one of the swimmers started suffering from hypothermia.
"It was rough; I think we all kind of expected it, the water was cold, 49 degrees, so it was a cold swim," swimmer Michelle Deasy said.
The team is promising to try a second attempt again soon.
farallon islands, golden gate bridge, san francisco news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos