San Francisco News
SF school participates in junior World Cup
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- More than 250 5th and 6th graders from French schools around the world just competed in a junior World Cup soccer competition also in South Africa. One of the 26 teams was San Francisco's French American International School.
Just outside the World Cup stadiums, people in South Africa were also paying attention to a much smaller tournament involving kids from French international schools from around the world.
One of teams representing the U.S. was French American International located in San Francisco.
After being in South Africa for nearly two weeks, part of the team arrived back in San Francisco on Tuesday after a 30-plus hour flight -- tired but eager to tell their parents about their experiences.
"It was amazing seeing all these people who came to watch and support us. It was cool to experience all the different cultures," soccer player Lewis Bobrow said.
"We were in Soweto and the people in the stands were all Africans and taught us the South African handshake and they were chanting our names and they cheered as loud for us, as they did for the South African people," soccer player JB Shin said.
French American came in second after beating Denmark, Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Tunisia and England. They were defeated by Ireland in the final game.
"It kind of felt heartbreaking but at the same time cool to make it second out of 26 teams in the world," Shin said.
The most valuable player of the entire tournament was Lizzy Wager from French American.
"It's these beads from South Africa and when you look at it and you look at the shadow, it kind of looks like the World Cup trophy," she said.
It was a great moment for a team which never expected to make it that far.
world cup, san francisco news, lyanne melendez
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos