San Francisco News
Woman abandons Farallon Islands to SF swim
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A 43-year-old Tahoe woman was forced to halt her attempt to become the first woman, and just the third person on record, to swim from the Farallon Islands to San Francisco Bay.
Karen Rogers started the grueling 30 mile swim across shark-filled waters around 3 Friday morning, but was forced to call it off after what her husband describes as safety concerns.
Rogers, an experienced long distance swimmer, says she's wanted to try the incredibly difficult swim ever since a fourth grade field trip to the remote wildlife refuge.
She says she plans to try again soon.
san francisco bay, farallon islands, san francisco news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 20 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer 54 min ago
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Student wins cooking contest with sandwich creation 52 min ago
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos