San Francisco News
Mayor says America's Cup would boost regional economy
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco's mayor and Bay Area business leaders said today the selection of San Francisco as the site of the next America's Cup sailing race would bring a major economic boost to the region.
"Securing hosting rights to the America's Cup is a prestigious and economically significant prize for any community," Mayor Gavin Newsom said in a prepared statement. "I am committed to the defense of the America's Cup in San Francisco."
A study by the Bay Area Council Economic Institute and Beacon Economics, commissioned by the city and released today, estimated the regatta could bring in an estimated $1.4 billion through spending by racing syndicates, and by residents and visitors on hotels, restaurants and retail services.
It said the benefits would likely extend to neighboring counties as well through visitor and maritime activity.
The event could create about 8,800 jobs, the study said.
Bay Area Council Economic Institute CEO Sean Randolph said hosting the regatta "would be a huge boon for the Bay Area economy."
The 34th America's Cup will take place in either 2013 or 2014.
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison's BMW Oracle Racing team won the previous race in February in Valencia, Spain, on behalf of San Francisco's Golden Gate Yacht Club. The club and the team get to choose the site of the next race.
economy, america's cup, san francisco news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice 15 min ago
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak 49 min ago
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year 54 min ago
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- 7 On Your Side: Affordable home automation
48 min ago