San Francisco News
Police investigate Muni stabbing near zoo
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Police are stepping up patrols and examining survelliance video after a stabbing aboard a Muni bus. It happened Monday night, on Yorba Street near Sunset Boulevard.
The stabbing happened in the Sunset District, close to the San Francisco Zoo.
A man stabbed a passenger three times in the shoulder and abdomen, while they were riding the 29-Sunset bus. It happened around 7:40 Monday night. The victim got off the bus near Sunset Boulevard and Yorba Street, and asked to borrow someone's cell phone to call for help. He was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening stab wounds.
Police stopped the bus a few blocks later, but the suspect and a female companion had already gotten off it. The bus driver never even knew what happened. The hope is surveillance video rolling on the bus may bring justice.
"This Muni bus, along with many Muni buses, does have video footage or video cameras set up on the bus. So we will be looking at that video footage to determine the circumstances leading up to this stabbing," said SFPD spokesman officer Samson Chan.
The only suspect description so far is a male in his late teens or early 20's, wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans. Police hope the bus security video will reveal more information about what led up to the stabbing. Unfortunately, crime on Muni has racked up a total of 569 incidents in the first six months of this year.
But Muni attributes a crime decrease in the last few months to more targeted monitoring by police of the more dangerous Muni lines and stations. Also, San Francisco supervisors have looked into legislation that toughens penalties for crimes that happen on Muni or around the stations -- these include carrying a concealed weapon, and aggressive harassment of a person.
san francisco zoo, muni, crime, san francisco news, teresa garcia
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF 39 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro 26 min ago
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 13 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
6 min ago
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration...
39 min ago