San Francisco News
Chiu wants to create law for party promoters
SAN FRANCISCO -- A San Francisco supervisor said today he wants to make it city law that party promoters who want to host events at clubs register online with the city.
Supervisor David Chiu said the proposal was an effort to curb "fly by night" promoters whose events have in the past attracted violence at or near the venues where they have been held.
Chiu said the legislation could prevent "avoidable tragedies."
The proposed ordinance, introduced to the board today, would "for the first time... provide some level of city oversight on party promoters," Chiu said.
If approved, it would require all promoters to fill out an online registration form with the city's Entertainment Commission. Clubs would only be allowed to work with those promoters who have registered.
The legislation comes amid other recent efforts by the city to curb club violence, which has included fatal shootings on Feb. 7 outside the Suede nightclub near Fisherman's Wharf and on July 11 outside Jelly's, a restaurant and dance cafi at Pier 50.
If passed, Chiu's legislation would allow the Entertainment Commission to track problem promoters and take action against them and the clubs that rent out space for their events, including imposing additional security requirements, liability insurance and criminal background checks.
It is unlikely, however, that the organizers of an Aug. 8 private party near Union Square, outside of which a German tourist was fatally shot, would be affected by Chiu's legislation, Chiu's office said.
san francisco city hall, san francisco news
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- Bay Area wakes up to frost as cold snap hits
- Crews call for reinforcements to find missing family
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Obama, in speech, to focus on income disparities
- 10 whales dead, dozens stranded in Everglades
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Sketch released of suspect in violent robberies
- Daly City man arrested for biting, punching parents 8 min ago
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: Murder trial; Bank robbery arrest
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday