San Francisco News
Police shot tenant for not turning down music
SAN FRANCISCO -- A tenant at a San Francisco hotel that houses elderly residents was fatally shot by police Sunday morning after he refused to turn down his stereo and then confronted officers with a weapon, police said.
Police were called to the Granada Hotel, a retirement community in the city's Nob Hill neighborhood, at about 11:10 a.m. Police spokesman Sgt. Troy Dangerfield said other residents had complained about loud music coming from the man's seventh floor apartment. Management tried to get the man to turn down the music, but he refused, Dangerfield said. Managers then called police, reporting the man was throwing his speakers out the window. Officers went with management to the man's room. Upon entry, "there was a weapon seen, there was some altercation, and there were shots fired" by police, Dangerfield said. The type of weapon seen has not been disclosed, but Dangerfield said there was "more than one weapon" in the room at the time. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. The medical examiner's office is withholding his name pending notification of his family. The shooting is being investigated by the Police Department's internal affairs and homicide units and by the district attorney's office.
shooting, crime, SFPD, nob hill, san francisco news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court 19 min ago
- Man fined $525 for refilling drink without paying
- Chelsea Clinton expecting first child
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear...
19 min ago