San Francisco News
Blue Angels practice over SF for Fleet Week
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Blue Angels were roaring through the skies over San Francisco Thursday, warming up for Fleet Week performances this weekend.
The Navy's Blue Angels warmed up over the bay Thursday to the delight of anyone who happened to be outside at the time.
Rich Wall has been coming to the Marina green the Thursday and Friday before weekend performances for 14 years to avoid the crowds.
"The speed, the sound, I follow a lot of air shows this time of year but this is my favorite because it's in my hometown," Wall said.
The USS Makin Island is berthed at Pier 30. Thursday it was the meeting place for military top brass and Bay Area leaders for a summit on disaster response.
"Our reverse water osmosis purification units can produce up to 200 gallons of fresh water a day, transported by helicopter or amphibious vehicle bringing fresh water in an emergency," Capt. Jim Landers said.
"If San Francisco is in trouble, has an issue, your friends in the military are ready to help out absolutely," Col. Michael Hudson said.
Hudson was born in San Francisco, and graduated from San Jose State. He now commands the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit, out of Camp Pendleton. He remembers Fleet Week as a kid.
"I do remember coming up and watching the Blues fly, seeing the ships come in, it was a great time," Hudson said.
Visitors will be able to get up close to the Marine's newest combat helicopters on the flight deck. Other transport helicopters, known as "frogs" were the workhorses of Vietnam.
"Every once in a while we'll have some vets say, 'Hey, is that a museum or is it still?' and they'll come in and have some very emotional recollections of being brought out of the fire," Lt. Col. Edward Jeep said.
The USS Makin Island will open its doors to the public Friday morning.
navy, fleet week, blue angels, san francisco news, heather ishimaru
- Only On 7: In-depth look into the life of drug dealers
- Preemie has hope of going home by Christmas 25 min ago
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Breakthrough awards scientists in Mountain View 9 min ago
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that!
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- Winter Spare the Air called through Friday
- roundup: High-speed chase; Vallejo homicides
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday