San Francisco News
Plans to save iconic 'Tonga Room' on hold
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A deal to save one of the last remaining Tiki bars in the country has been put on hold. The San Francisco Planning Commission has delayed its decision about the Fairmont Hotel's renovation plans until next year because there are too many concerns.
The Tonga room at the Fairmont Hotel is an over the top Polynesian-style Tiki bar featuring indoor rain storms, but the hotel owners say it has no place in their renovations plan. That $130 million renovation calls for tearing down the hotel's 23-story tower and five-story base, eliminating more than 200 rooms and building condominiums."It is too large to maintain the Fairmont at the level its known for, so they want to have an economic engine to renovate the historic structure and bring it up to five-star level," Fairmont consultant Sam Lauter said.
City planners have highlighted the historic nature of the Tonga Room, but there's more at stake from the downsizing of the Fairmont for those who work there. Jane Bassett has been at the Fairmont 30 years. "The impact is going to be many, many people losing their jobs," she said. The company says it has a plan to protect jobs, but some workers don't buy that. The massive renovation project is also dividing Nob Hill neighbors. "I can't see how we can have a weak Fairmont and see that turn into a second class hotel and have that be good for Nob Hill," Nob Hill resident Ray Brown said. Others have concerns about construction noise, traffic congestion, architectural plans and the amount of community input. "You would think there would be more circumstances city leaders would look at besides the Tonga Room," Nob Hill resident Michael Meniktas said. City planners have received a number of letters and e-mails from residents urging they preserve the Tonga Room. The hotel has signed a letter of intent with a local restaurateur who will buy the Tonga Room and move it to a new site.
san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 46 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill 28 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery...
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos