San Francisco News
Man arrested in Russian Hill homicide
SAN FRANCISCO -- A San Francisco man was arrested today on suspicion of murdering a Russian Hill woman last week after he allegedly posed as a utility worker to gain access to her building, a police spokeswoman said.
Gary Scott Holland, 43, is accused of robbing and killing 46-year-old publicist Kathleen Horan, police Lt. Lyn Tomioka said.
Officers found Holland in the Richmond District today after police this morning released a sketch of a suspect in the case, Tomioka said.
He was detained for questioning after police learned he was on parole for attempted murder in Fresno and a person of interest to San Francisco police, she said. He was arrested this afternoon.
Horan was found dead inside her second-floor home at 900 Chestnut St. at about 4:25 a.m. Saturday when police responded to a request for a well-being check by someone who knew her, police said.
A cause of death had not been determined today.
"It's not going to bring complete closure, as far as the family is concerned, but it's sure going to help," John Horan, Horan's uncle, said by phone today before the arrest was made.
The suspect had posed as a utility worker and knocked on several doors saying he was checking for a gas leak, police Capt. David Lazar said.
"And unfortunately it sounds like my niece opened the door," Horan said.
The suspect was seen in the area at about 6:15 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 29, about 45 minutes before police believe Horan was killed. Items belonging to her were found outside the apartment.
"We are exploring all the possible motives," Lazar said.
Horan had just returned to the city Friday from a trip to Argentina with her mother, according to her uncle.
"They just returned from the trip, and her mother said goodbye to her, not knowing that it was a final goodbye," Horan said.
His niece loved to travel and was active in charity work and neighborhood activities, he said.
crime, russian hill, SFPD, san francisco news
- Freeze warning continues for most of Bay Area 59 min ago
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004 27 min ago
- Deep freeze grips most of United States 25 min ago
- National memorial to be held for Nelson Mandela
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders 12 min ago
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M 56 min ago
- SJ seeks crowdfunding support for gun buyback
- Paul Walker memorial expected to draw thousands 45 min ago
- Lane of Highway 101 closed after car crashes into pole
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday 8 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
25 min ago