San Francisco News
Coast Guard crew returns to SF from Gulf oil spill
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- There was a wonderful homecoming Friday morning for a San Francisco based Coast Guard cutter that spent five months tackling major challenges.
The Aspen crew played instrumental roles in the Gulf oil spill and the Carnival cruise nightmare.
The 41 crew members came back to heroes' welcome.
The Aspen is 225 feet long. It deploys skimming and oil containment equipment.
It was very emotional on land. The spouses have held very tight bonds while their husbands or wives were away.
The Aspen crew joined more than 180 other California based Coast Guard personnel who dealt with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
"Everyday it's 'I miss daddy. When is daddy coming home? Where is daddy?' But I tell him he is cleaning up the oil, and he is helping people and they get it, they understand. It was difficult. Especially because we just moved from Florida and he left two weeks later. So coming here, being alone and then him gone for five months - it's what we have to do," said Shaye Agnone, a crew member's wife.
The Aspen was detoured over to the Carnival Splendor cruise ship which lost power off the Mexican coast on Monday. And then before it could get there, the Aspen was told to go back to San Francisco.
coast guard, oil spill, san francisco news, terry mcsweeney
- Stolen European passports on missing plane
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea 25 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- One dead after house fire in Oakland
- Man arrested for DUI after injury crash in Russian Hill 46 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos