San Francisco News
City College student's deportation delayed
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A ray of hope has come for a San Francisco City College nursing student who was originally set to be deported on Monday.
The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that Steve Li's attorney says federal immigration authorities will not send him back to Peru for now.
In the past two days, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Sen. Diane Feinstein, D-Calif., have been pressuring immigration officials to delay the plan.
Li is currently being held at a federal detention facility in Arizona.
He came to the U.S. with his parents at age 12 and didn't know about his illegal immigration status until recently.
This latest decision could still be reversed.
san francisco city college, immigration, san francisco news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge 9 min ago
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Martinez police treating brush fire as crime scene 29 min ago
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party 13 min ago
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park 14 min ago
- Nicasio lifts Rockies to 5-0 win over Giants
- Cespedes homer helps A's complete sweep of Royals
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
2 min ago
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
9 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos