San Francisco News
Bayview families to receive free Thanksgiving meals
SAN FRANCISCO -- More than 700 turkeys will be given out today in San Francisco's Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood thanks to a partnership between PG&E, the San Francisco Housing Authority and the A. Philip Randolph Institute.
This is the fourth consecutive year baskets containing turkey and other Thanksgiving staples will given out in Bayview-Hunters Point.
"It's really becoming a great tradition down there," PG&E spokesman Joe Molica said.
Families from three housing developments will receive a basket including a 10- to 12-pound turkey, bread, a 3-pound bag of rice, cranberry sauce, a can of yams, and two cans each of corn, greens and mixed vegetables.
"We wanted to provide all the makings of a Thanksgiving meal," Molica said.
Housing development residents sign up ahead of time and receive a voucher, Molica said.
Eligibility is determined by the housing authority, Molica said.
A team of volunteers will be on board to help distribute the baskets.
The giveaways are scheduled for 11 a.m. to noon on the basketball courts at the Hunters View Housing Development on West Point Road; from 1 to 2 p.m. at Hunters Point A-East/Westbrook Housing Development at 90 Kiska Road; and from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. on the basketball courts at Alice Griffith Housing Development at 2390 Griffith St.
The A. Philip Randolph Institute is an organization dedicated to building racial equality and economic justice.
thanksgiving, bayview hunters point, san francisco news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found 32 min ago
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Thousands protest ahead of Fukushima anniversary 44 min ago
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible 32 min ago
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts 20 min ago
- Footage examined to ID two with stolen...
7 min ago