San Francisco News
SF supervisors consider interim mayor proposal
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Today for the first time since Mayor Gavin Newsom became Lt Governor Elect, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors officially reviewed a detailed process that could be used to name his replacement.
Clerk of the Board Angela Cavillo has devised a procedure for nominating and appointing a successor. Her suggestions include sequestering all the nominees, requiring their laptops be closed, cell phones turned off and no written or verbal messages to members of the board during the critical meeting.
Supervisor Chris Daly calls the clerk's proposal cumbersome and flawed.
"You potentially could have five members of the board of supervisors sequestered and unable to participate. Under what I've, proposed 10 members of the board would be there to make the decision," he said.
His proposal would have the nominees sequestered one by one, while their fate is debated. It will take six votes of the board to okay someone to fill out the remainder of Newsom's turn.
Three time mayoral candidate Angela Alioto has been mentioned.
"Obviously, I wanted to be mayor at some point in my life," said
She's not sure of her ambitions now, but believes the stakes are high in this rare appointment process.
"Being mayor matters, it matters. It's not something you just do. Let's nominate someone because we've got some time, you don't do that. You take your time and do it in a serious manner," she said.
Political analyst David Latterman says the public is just beginning to grasp the issue.
"Some people think just the board president assumes it and keeps it until the next election. Not as many people understand that a bunch of people get in a smoke filled room and choose the next mayor, regardless of any public input whatsoever," he said.
The public is now beginning to weigh in, hoping to have a say before Newsom leaves the mayor's office in January.
san francisco board of supervisors, gavin newsom, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang 27 min ago
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- San Jose Sharks holding rally to kick off playoff run
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos