San Francisco News
Federal appeals court hears Prop 8 arguments
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The fight over California's same-sex marriage ban reached the next legal level Monday when it went before a federal appeals court during a nationally televised hearing in San Francisco.
Courthouses have become all too familiar for the plaintiffs trying to overturn Prop 8.
Their fate is now in the hands of a three-judge appeals court panel, which must decide whether to uphold a district judge's ruling that the voter's 2008 ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional. The panel first needs to decide if Prop 8's sponsors even have the legal right to argue the case, since the state's top lawyer has decided not to.
The judges also seemed skeptical of an effort by Imperial County to intervene, but at least one worried about having no one to defend Prop 8.
"If the state doesn't defend it, they are throwing in the towel," U.S. Court of Appeals Judge Stephen R. Reinhardt said.
The judges are also reviewing the merits of the case, whether Prop 8 violates the constitutional rights of gays and lesbians.
"This has stripped gays of the most important right as defined by the U.S. Supreme Court," plaintiffs' attorney Theodore Olson said.
"Is it one for the people to define or does the government take that out of the hands of the people," Prop 8 attorney Charles Cooper said.
Lawyers on both sides of the case were reluctant to judge the judges, but the plaintiffs say they are hopeful
"The judges are very thoughtful in the questioning of the lawyers," plaintiff Sandy Stier said.
"This is a turning point. I think in 2030 years from now people are going to wonder why this was necessary," Plaintiffs' attorney David Boies said.
"We believe people of goodwill can disagree in good faith on this question," Cooper said.
The lawyers are praising the quick pace of the legal proceedings and though there's no timetable for this decision, the case could make its way to the U.S. Supreme Court by 2012.
same sex marriage, 9th u.s. circuit court of appeals, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested 19 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- Fatal collision blocks lanes on I-880 near Coliseum
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer...
19 min ago
- Little progress made in search for missing...
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos