San Francisco News
Fired Santa parades past Macy's on way to new job
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Fired Macy's Santa John Toomey paraded past the department store on his way to his new post at Lefty O'Doul's Friday afternoon.
Toomey lost his 20-year job playing Santa at the Macy's Union Square store last weekend after a couple complained about a joke he made. Toomey apparently told them he knows where all the naughty boys and girls live when they asked why he was so jolly.
Toomey says he has never shared his risqué jokes with children.
After hearing about the incident, lefty O'Doul's owner Nick Bovis asked Toomey if he would like to spread his holiday cheer at the venerable Union Square restaurant and bar.
Toomey will be available at the pub each day from 3 to 8 p.m. through Christmas Eve. And he will be allowed to tell jokes.
Macy's says they have moved on and so has Toomey, but Toomey says being the Macy's Santa is the pinnacle of the Santa hierarchy so he will miss the post.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
union square, macy's, christmas, jobs, holiday, san francisco news, don sanchez
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
36 min ago
- Journals show students' despair, hope
36 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos