San Francisco News
Fired Santa parades past Macy's on way to new job
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Fired Macy's Santa John Toomey paraded past the department store on his way to his new post at Lefty O'Doul's Friday afternoon.
Toomey lost his 20-year job playing Santa at the Macy's Union Square store last weekend after a couple complained about a joke he made. Toomey apparently told them he knows where all the naughty boys and girls live when they asked why he was so jolly.
Toomey says he has never shared his risqué jokes with children.
After hearing about the incident, lefty O'Doul's owner Nick Bovis asked Toomey if he would like to spread his holiday cheer at the venerable Union Square restaurant and bar.
Toomey will be available at the pub each day from 3 to 8 p.m. through Christmas Eve. And he will be allowed to tell jokes.
Macy's says they have moved on and so has Toomey, but Toomey says being the Macy's Santa is the pinnacle of the Santa hierarchy so he will miss the post.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
union square, macy's, christmas, jobs, holiday, san francisco news, don sanchez
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos