San Francisco News
Fired Santa parades past Macy's on way to new job
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Fired Macy's Santa John Toomey paraded past the department store on his way to his new post at Lefty O'Doul's Friday afternoon.
Toomey lost his 20-year job playing Santa at the Macy's Union Square store last weekend after a couple complained about a joke he made. Toomey apparently told them he knows where all the naughty boys and girls live when they asked why he was so jolly.
Toomey says he has never shared his risqué jokes with children.
After hearing about the incident, lefty O'Doul's owner Nick Bovis asked Toomey if he would like to spread his holiday cheer at the venerable Union Square restaurant and bar.
Toomey will be available at the pub each day from 3 to 8 p.m. through Christmas Eve. And he will be allowed to tell jokes.
Macy's says they have moved on and so has Toomey, but Toomey says being the Macy's Santa is the pinnacle of the Santa hierarchy so he will miss the post.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
union square, macy's, christmas, jobs, holiday, san francisco news, don sanchez
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake 6 min ago
- Body found on Mt. Tam believed to be missing hiker
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- Doctors: 10-month-old girl won't survive abuse injuries
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Sonoma County fire burns garage and cars
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Man found fatally shot in Concord 56 min ago
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body