San Francisco News
Man accused in Va. kidnap waives extradition
SAN FRANCISCO -- The accused abductor of a Virginia girl found in San Francisco waived his extradition on Tuesday and will be heading southeast to face kidnapping charges.
Jeffrey Scott Easley did not fight his transfer during a brief hearing in San Francisco Superior Court.
Roanoke County police detective John McPhail said Easley will return to Virginia within 48 hours to be arraigned for allegedly kidnapping 12-year-old Brittany Mae Smith and for credit card fraud.
"As soon as we can make the arrangements," McPhail said.
The girl was with Easley when police arrested him Friday outside a San Francisco supermarket, after a woman recognized the two from TV news reports. They hadn't been seen since being spotted Dec. 3 on a Walmart surveillance video outside Roanoke, Va.
Authorities found the girl's mother and Easley's girlfriend, Tina Smith, dead Nov. 29 inside their southwestern Virginia home. Police consider her death a homicide.
Smith was returned home with two detectives Monday night.
McPhail said detectives have questioned Easley, but declined to go into details, including what ties Easley may have in San Francisco, citing their ongoing investigation.
McPhail said authorities in San Francisco have been cooperative.
"The information and evidence that we have obtained here will be shipped back (to Virginia)," McPhail said. "It should be extremely productive."
child abduction, richmond district, san francisco news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 56 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos