San Francisco News
Appeals court seeks guidance in Prop 8 case
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is asking the California Supreme Court for advice on a key issue in the state's ongoing same-sex marriage case.
It was an issue brought up during last month's Prop 8 hearings before the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Now the judges are asking the California Supreme Court for guidance on whether the ballot measure's supporters have the legal standing to argue the case at all.
"If the 9th Circuit, based on the advise it receives from the California Supreme Court, decides the proponents do not have standing to appeal, that means that the district's court's decision that holds Proposition 8 unconstitutional...is the law of the land," Ted Olson, one of the attorneys representing the two couples challenging Prop 8, said.
"This is a huge deal because this could effectively derail this entire appeal," ABC7 legal analyst Dean Johnson said. "If the California Supreme Court decides no standing then the federal court loses jurisdiction."
If the California Supreme Court decides the group ProtectMarriage.com does have legal standing to defend Prop 8, then the case goes back to the federal appellate court for a ruling on its merits. That is, whether Prop 8's ban on same-sex marriage is constitutional.
"We're pleased to see that the 9th Circuit has asked the California Supreme Court to clearly reaffirm the right of proponents to defense voter-passed measures that they successfully sponsored," ProtectMarriage.com spokesperson Andy Pugno said.
While the courts consider the issues, same-sex couples wanting to marry could be in for a long wait.
"That part is hard; this will actually lead to some delay in the ultimate resolution of the case," National Center for Lesbian Rights spokesperson Shannon Minter said.
The California Supreme Court is under no legal obligation to act on the 9th Circuit's request for guidance.
same sex marriage, 9th u.s. circuit court of appeals, california supreme court, san francisco news, laura anthony
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance 13 min ago
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Campaign to save dog in Arizona mauling case
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office 47 min ago
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups 11 min ago
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing 53 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos