San Francisco News
SFPD officer shoots man in wheelchair
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A San Francisco police officer shot a man in a wheelchair after being stabbed in the city's South of Market District Tuesday morning.
The officer involved shooting occurred shortly after 10:15 a.m. near the intersection of Howard and 10th streets by the Department of Mental Health Clinic. Police say officers responded to a call of a man slashing tires and vandalizing city vehicles.
"The call for service was originally a man with a knife vandalizing city vehicles," SFPD spokesperson Ofc. Eric Chiang said.
Doreen Paddock works in the building. She says the suspect is a regular visitor to the clinic and has a reputation.
"He's a little bit of trouble maker," she said.
A police spokesperson says the officer was stabbed and first fired a non-lethal bean bag weapon and then another officer fired his service revolver. It is unclear just how the separate events occurred, whether the officer was stabbed first and then the weapons were fired, or if the stabbing happened between the two shootings.
The police officer and the man he shot are being treated at San Francisco General Hospital. The officer, whose name has not been released, is being treated for a deep knife wound to his arm. The suspect, whose name is also being withheld, is in surgery for non-life-threatening injuries.
Police say they are investigating whether the suspect was a regular wheelchair user or if he was standing up when the incident occurred.
crime, shooting, soma, SFPD, mental health, san francisco news, vic lee
- Paul McCartney will play final show at Candlestick 13 min ago
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect arrested 5 min ago
- One injured in apartment fire near San Jose State 1 min ago
- Stanford patient denied liver due to medical marijuana
- Afghanistan hospital guard kills three American doctors
- Batteries in baby video monitors recalled
- Scientists locate 19th century steamship in SF Bay
- Apple increases stock buyback, will split stock
- State senators get ethics training after scandals
- 5-year-old Oakland boy shot in eye with paintball gun
- Six Flags welcoms first seal pup born at park in 8 years
- 7OYS helps woman get refund from alumni company
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Body found at dump; Bicycle Share expansion
- Daly City medical building shooting suspect...
5 min ago