San Francisco News
SFPD officer shoots man in wheelchair
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A San Francisco police officer shot a man in a wheelchair after being stabbed in the city's South of Market District Tuesday morning.
The officer involved shooting occurred shortly after 10:15 a.m. near the intersection of Howard and 10th streets by the Department of Mental Health Clinic. Police say officers responded to a call of a man slashing tires and vandalizing city vehicles.
"The call for service was originally a man with a knife vandalizing city vehicles," SFPD spokesperson Ofc. Eric Chiang said.
Doreen Paddock works in the building. She says the suspect is a regular visitor to the clinic and has a reputation.
"He's a little bit of trouble maker," she said.
A police spokesperson says the officer was stabbed and first fired a non-lethal bean bag weapon and then another officer fired his service revolver. It is unclear just how the separate events occurred, whether the officer was stabbed first and then the weapons were fired, or if the stabbing happened between the two shootings.
The police officer and the man he shot are being treated at San Francisco General Hospital. The officer, whose name has not been released, is being treated for a deep knife wound to his arm. The suspect, whose name is also being withheld, is in surgery for non-life-threatening injuries.
Police say they are investigating whether the suspect was a regular wheelchair user or if he was standing up when the incident occurred.
crime, shooting, soma, SFPD, mental health, san francisco news, vic lee
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Cyclists converge in Livermore for Amgen Tour of CA 18 min ago
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains crash
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- Newark police investigate officer-involved shooting
- Police investigate shootings that hospitalized two men
- Credit card skimming devices found at 2 gas stations
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos