San Francisco News
Man arrested after body found in burning car
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco police have arrested a man suspected of murdering a woman whose body was found in a burned car in the city's Lower Haight neighborhood early Monday morning.
Almon Johnson, 29, was arrested in San Francisco on Monday, but investigators believe the murder occurred in Sacramento, police Officer Eric Chiang said.
"(The body) was driven here and then set ablaze," Chiang said.
The victim has been identified as Vanessa Herrera, 23, of Sacramento, according to police and the medical examiner's office. Police have not disclosed the relationship between Johnson and Herrera.
Police found Herrera's body at about 3:30 a.m. on Monday in a two-door gray Pontiac after receiving a report of a burning car in the 400 block of Rose Street.
car fire, crime, haight ashbury, san francisco news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week 35 min ago
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition 47 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case