San Francisco News
Accused Fisherman's Wharf shooter appears in court
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man accused of shooting and killing two Fisherman's Wharf merchants Sunday made his first appearance in court Friday.
Hong Ri Wu, 56, of San Francisco, was taken into custody Sunday evening at a shop at 269 Jefferson St., where he allegedly shot Qiong Han Chu, a 30-year-old man, and Feng Ping Ou, a 30-year-old woman, police said.
Wu was in San Francisco Superior Court to be arraigned this morning, but the arraignment was postponed until Tuesday.
He did appear in court and said he couldn't afford a lawyer. The public defender's office was assigned the case.
The shootings were reported at 8:20 p.m. Sunday at the store, which sells souvenirs and luggage, according to police.
Police said Wu, who worked at a nearby competing store and knew the victims, walked into the store and allegedly shot Chu and Ou. The victims, both San Francisco residents, were pronounced dead at the scene.
"It's a dispute between merchants regarding the selling of similar items," police Lt. Troy Dangerfield said.
Interim police Chief Jeff Godown called the shootings an "isolated incident." A gun believed to be the murder weapon was recovered at the scene, he said.
Wu was booked into San Francisco County Jail Monday morning on two counts of murder, according to the sheriff's department.
Police are hoping that two tourists, a man and a woman who were in the store at the time and spoke briefly with police but did not leave their contact information, will come forward.
Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact homicide Inspector Martin at (415) 553-9183 or the anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444.
fisherman's wharf, shooting, san francisco news
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future 29 min ago
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station 57 min ago
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- Police arrest woman in connection with shooting
- Crews control one-alarm house fire in Antioch
- I-TEAM: Small park, big problems
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos