San Francisco News
6 injured after limousine, taxi collide
SAN FRANCISCO -- Six people were injured after a taxi cab and a limousine collided in an intersection near San Francisco's Nob Hill neighborhood this morning, a San Francisco police spokesman said.
At about 2 a.m., officers were dispatched to Jones and Sutter Streets on reports that a limousine had crashed into a light pole, San Francisco police Officer Albie Esparza said.
Police said that a taxi cab and a limousine collided in an intersection, resulting in the limousine hitting a nearby light post.
"The vehicle lost control and sheared off the bottom sleeve of the pole," a San Francisco police dispatcher said. "It shattered and two pedestrians got hit with the debris."
A yellow alert was issued immediately following the accident, Esparza said.
Esparza said that a yellow alert notifies local hospitals of a medical emergency, in which a large number of victims need to be treated.
"It's basically a trauma alert to nearby emergency rooms," Esparza said.
Four victims were transported to San Francisco General Hospital and two victims were transported to St. Francis Memorial Hospital, all with non-life threatening injuries, Esparza said.
It is unknown how many of the victims were passengers, drivers or pedestrians, Esparza said.
Witnesses reported that the collision may have been the result of one of the vehicles running a red light, but Esparza said officers have yet to determine a cause.
"The police investigators have to meet with each witness and find out exactly what happened," Esparza said.
nob hill, car crash, san francisco news
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather 36 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Audit finds BART police make progress in reforms
- Shelter-in-place advisory lifted for Pittsburg residents
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested 40 min ago
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Holiday Heroes event to help children in need
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup 23 min ago
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing... 11 min ago
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday