San Francisco News
6 injured after limousine, taxi collide
SAN FRANCISCO -- Six people were injured after a taxi cab and a limousine collided in an intersection near San Francisco's Nob Hill neighborhood this morning, a San Francisco police spokesman said.
At about 2 a.m., officers were dispatched to Jones and Sutter Streets on reports that a limousine had crashed into a light pole, San Francisco police Officer Albie Esparza said.
Police said that a taxi cab and a limousine collided in an intersection, resulting in the limousine hitting a nearby light post.
"The vehicle lost control and sheared off the bottom sleeve of the pole," a San Francisco police dispatcher said. "It shattered and two pedestrians got hit with the debris."
A yellow alert was issued immediately following the accident, Esparza said.
Esparza said that a yellow alert notifies local hospitals of a medical emergency, in which a large number of victims need to be treated.
"It's basically a trauma alert to nearby emergency rooms," Esparza said.
Four victims were transported to San Francisco General Hospital and two victims were transported to St. Francis Memorial Hospital, all with non-life threatening injuries, Esparza said.
It is unknown how many of the victims were passengers, drivers or pedestrians, Esparza said.
Witnesses reported that the collision may have been the result of one of the vehicles running a red light, but Esparza said officers have yet to determine a cause.
"The police investigators have to meet with each witness and find out exactly what happened," Esparza said.
nob hill, car crash, san francisco news
- Search on for man who went missing after B2B race
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T Park in SF 35 min ago
- Gay soccer player Robbie Rogers joins LA Galaxy
- Santa Cruz police arrest crime plot mastermind
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- PG&E disputes record fine for San Bruno blast
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial Day event
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Police position DUI checkpoints in unsuspecting areas
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities 24 min ago
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos