San Francisco News
Bayview-Hunter's Point gets lesson on illegal dumping
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco city officials are going door-to-door in the city's Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood this afternoon to educate business owners and residents about the effects of illegal dumping.
The San Francisco Department of the Environment and Department of Public Works are collaborating on the outreach effort, which is focusing on an area of the city that is a known hotspot for illegal dumping, public works spokeswoman Gloria Chan said.
The departments are about halfway through a six-week campaign targeting industrial and other businesses that dump waste and residents who leave bulky items like couches and mattresses on city sidewalks and streets, Chan said.
Each year, San Francisco handles about 17,000 reports of illegal dumping and hauls off about 10,000 tons of discarded debris, she said. The efforts cost city taxpayers more than $4 million annually.
A crew of five city employees is educating businesses and residents about the resources available to help them dispose of unwanted bulky items, and how to report illegal dumping, Chan said.
Information on how to get rid of various items can be found using the EcoFinder application on the Department of Environment's website, www.sfenvironment.org.
Anyone who sees illegal dumping is encouraged to call 311, Chan said.
Today's outreach was scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m.
recycling, bayview hunters point, san francisco news
- 5-alarm fire destroys SF building under construction 28 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins 44 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2 38 min ago
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win 32 min ago
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos