San Francisco News
Bayview-Hunter's Point gets lesson on illegal dumping
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco city officials are going door-to-door in the city's Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood this afternoon to educate business owners and residents about the effects of illegal dumping.
The San Francisco Department of the Environment and Department of Public Works are collaborating on the outreach effort, which is focusing on an area of the city that is a known hotspot for illegal dumping, public works spokeswoman Gloria Chan said.
The departments are about halfway through a six-week campaign targeting industrial and other businesses that dump waste and residents who leave bulky items like couches and mattresses on city sidewalks and streets, Chan said.
Each year, San Francisco handles about 17,000 reports of illegal dumping and hauls off about 10,000 tons of discarded debris, she said. The efforts cost city taxpayers more than $4 million annually.
A crew of five city employees is educating businesses and residents about the resources available to help them dispose of unwanted bulky items, and how to report illegal dumping, Chan said.
Information on how to get rid of various items can be found using the EcoFinder application on the Department of Environment's website, www.sfenvironment.org.
Anyone who sees illegal dumping is encouraged to call 311, Chan said.
Today's outreach was scheduled to begin at 12:30 p.m.
recycling, bayview hunters point, san francisco news
- Two men shot, killed on I-880 in Oakland ID'd
- Photos released of suspect in violent SJ carjacking
- Police say realignment may be cause of crime spike
- Longshoreman killed after truck falls into water
- FEMA to fund removal of trees from East Bay Hills
- Steve Wozniak to give Cal commencement speech
- Conn. commuter trains collide; 60 go to hospitals
- Italian team calls for better safety for America's Cup
- Grenade found in San Jose garage detonated safely
- Report: Yahoo nearing $1.1B acquisition of Tumblr
- Get Free Stuff: Purse, nail kit, comedy show
- abcnews: Rumor: Beyonce pregnant with 2nd child
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Bay to Breakers
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday