San Francisco News
Matt Gonzalez named Adachi's chief attorney
SAN FRANCISCO -- Former San Francisco supervisor and mayoral candidate Matt Gonzalez is returning to public service today as chief attorney for the public defender's office.
Gonzalez served as president of the Board of Supervisors and narrowly lost the 2003 race for mayor to Gavin Newsom.
He is now returning to the public defender's office, where he worked as a deputy public defender from 1991 until taking office as supervisor in 2001.
Public Defender Jeff Adachi announced at a staff meeting this morning that Gonzalez would be taking over as chief attorney, effective immediately, spokeswoman Tamara Barak Aparton said.
"We wanted a top trial lawyer who understands our work, has a commitment to our clients and a dedication to preserving the resources that allow our office to function," Adachi said in a statement.
He said Gonzalez's experience in the courtroom and at City Hall makes him an excellent fit for the chief attorney position, which involves overseeing and managing all internal operations of the public defender's office, and also participating in budget planning and negotiations.
The chief attorney is essentially second-in-command to the public defender, Barak Aparton said.
Gonzalez is replacing former Chief Attorney Teresa Caffese, who left Dec. 31 for private practice.
Since 2005, Gonzalez has worked as a partner at the law firm of Gonzalez and Leigh, where he handled both civil and criminal matters.
san francisco board of supervisors, san francisco city hall, Jeff Adachi, san francisco news
- Malaysia says jet's disappearance was deliberate
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- CCSF protestors make voices heard at City Hall
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Investigators finally getting look at Mission Bay fire
- 2-alarm fire damages historic restaurant in Larkspur 16 min ago
- Police arrest woman in connection with shooting
- Crews control one-alarm house fire in Antioch
- Los Angeles subway dig finds prehistoric artifacts 15 min ago
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 29 min ago
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos