San Francisco News
Cherry picker falls into sinkhole in downtown SF
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- An unusual accident in San Francisco is being investigated. It resulted in downtown street closures during the Tuesday morning commute. It involved a window washer in a cherry picker and a sidewalk that collapsed under the crane's weight.
A cherry picker caved into a small sinkhole at about 2:14 a.m. on Sutter Street in front of a Banana Republic store. The accident temporarily shut down Sutter between Grant Avenue and Kearny Street. It took two tow trucks to pull the cherry picker out of the sidewalk. The operator was not injured, and called police for assistance. The crane was sitting on a thin portion of the sidewalk in between two beams.
"You can see that the sidewalk is pretty thin right there and there is some rebar type construction underneath that is pretty corroded," said Mindy Talmadge of the San Francisco Fire Department.
"The sidewalk has a basement underneath it. The roof of the basement is not designed to carry a 25,000 pound fork lift. The fork lift should have been parked on the street rather than on the sidewalk. As you can see this is a relatively old building," said city engineer Fuad S. Sweiss.
The city said the window washing company should have had a permit and should have put the forklift on the road. The city also said the property owner will be responsible for repairing the hole in the sidewalk.
financial district, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- 4.4 earthquake strikes Southern California 59 min ago
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord 3 min ago
- Two lanes of WB I-80 in SF blocked due to accident
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
52 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos