San Francisco News
Man accused of killing roommate pleads not guilty
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man accused of killing his 67-year-old roommate in San Francisco's Lower Nob Hill neighborhood last month pleaded not guilty to murder Thursday morning.
Waheed Kesmatyer, 24, is suspected of fatally stabbing Jack Baker, 67, in the 1000 block of Bush Street, police said.
Police found Baker when they responded to a request for a well-being check at the home at about 6:15 p.m. on Feb. 11.
Physical evidence at the scene was linked to Kesmatyer, who had been roommates with Baker since October 2010, police said.
Kesmatyer was already being held in Marin County Jail on unrelated charges when he was served with the arrest warrant for murder.
Police and prosecutors were not yet releasing what the motive might have been for the killing.
During his arraignment in San Francisco Superior Court today, Judge Nancy Davis read the charging document, which stated that the murder happened sometime between Feb. 6 and Feb. 11, the date Baker was found dead.
Kesmatyer pleaded not guilty to a charge of murder with an enhancement for the use of a deadly weapon, the knife allegedly used to stab Baker.
Kesmatyer's arraignment had initially been scheduled for last Friday and again on Tuesday, but had been postponed both times due to mental health issues.
He is due back in court again on April 7 to set a date for the preliminary hearing.
nob hill, san francisco county, crime, san francisco news
- Injunction filed to keep Jahi McMath on life support
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin
- Female victim shot near Lake Merritt Friday morning
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- Target shopper files suit over security breach
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints 24 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Stores stay open around the clock before...
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos