San Francisco News
Snuggie-clad revelers to hit SF pubs
SAN FRANCISCO -- If you're thinking of heading out tonight to the popular strip of bars along Polk Street in San Francisco's Lower Nob Hill neighborhood, prepare to see some Snuggies.
Hundreds of partygoers will be donning the "blanket with sleeves" at the second annual Snuggie Pub Crawl, an organizer said.
Six bars in the neighborhood are offering special discounts to anyone wearing the robe-like garbs at tonight's event, which kicks off at 7 p.m., organizer Helen Vo said.
Unlike traditional pub crawls, where the crowd travels to specific pubs at allotted times, tonight's revelers are free to go to any of the participating bars at any time due to the massive amount of people that are expected to turn out.
At last count, more than 600 people RSVP'd on Facebook that they were definitely coming while more than 400 said maybe - and that's not including the last-minute partygoers and the friends of friends who are expected to turn up, Vo said.
"It's going to be a madhouse," she said.
Vo, 24, and her friend and co-organizer, Ady Wright, planned last year's Snuggie Pub Crawl. The response was overwhelming, they said.
"All of the bars on our list reached maximum capacity," Vo said.
There have been similar Snuggie pub crawls in San Francisco and other cities before Vo and Wright took the reigns, but Vo thinks San Francisco is the perfect place for an event like theirs.
"San Francisco is one of those cities where everyone likes to have an excuse to dress up," she said.
Last year's pub crawl was so popular that a social networking application company offered to sponsor this year's event.
In addition to the drink specials being offered at participating bars, revelers can enjoy even more cheap drinks provided by Bartab, a mobile application that allows users to buy real drinks for friends.
Participants can download the company's URL, www.bartab.com/snuggie, select the drink they want, and claim their $1 drink at one of the bars taking part in the promotion, a company spokesman said.
"We're giving them a chance to drink cheap while they're sporting their Snuggies," marketing manager Davis Schneider said.
Schneider will be one of many taking part in tonight's festivities. He'll be the one in the tiger costume, he said.
"We have a mascot; we call him Tabs the Tiger. So I will most likely be throwing that on and running around in that -- and a Snuggie," he added.
Information about the bars offering specials for tonight's event and those participating in the Bartabs promotion is available at the 2nd Annual Snuggie Pub Crawl Facebook page.
nob hill, fashion, san francisco news
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos