San Francisco News
SF mayor hopes to keep redevelopment funds
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A new economic poll among San Francisco residents shows they feel the city is headed in the right direction. The major issues at the top of the list are homelessness, panhandling, jobs and the economy.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee told a morning meeting that the city's biggest problem may be Governor Brown who wants to take away redevelopment money. A clearly frustrated Lee said job creation in San Francisco will wither if Governor Brown's proposal to get rid of local redevelopment agencies becomes law. The mayor talked about jobs and redevelopment at Thursday morning's Chamber of Commerce CityBeat Breakfast. He said the way Governor Brown's proposal is written, it would eliminate the financing that cities use as seed money to attract business. And that would jeopardize San Francisco's effort to create 10,000 new jobs.
"It isn't just as easy as his pronouncing it, he's got to put in the work. His staff has to put some work into appropriate language there that protects our projects," said Lee.
Mayor Lee didn't rule out legal action to block the redevelopment measure. But, he also wouldn't commit to joining a lawsuit filed by the League of California Cities. He did promise a fight to protect those San Francisco projects.
ed lee, san francisco news, eric thomas
- Suspect in San Francisco police shooting arrested 19 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- Immigration detainees continue hunger strike 21 min ago
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut 29 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Suspect in San Francisco police shooting...
19 min ago