San Francisco News
SF mayor hopes to keep redevelopment funds
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A new economic poll among San Francisco residents shows they feel the city is headed in the right direction. The major issues at the top of the list are homelessness, panhandling, jobs and the economy.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee told a morning meeting that the city's biggest problem may be Governor Brown who wants to take away redevelopment money. A clearly frustrated Lee said job creation in San Francisco will wither if Governor Brown's proposal to get rid of local redevelopment agencies becomes law. The mayor talked about jobs and redevelopment at Thursday morning's Chamber of Commerce CityBeat Breakfast. He said the way Governor Brown's proposal is written, it would eliminate the financing that cities use as seed money to attract business. And that would jeopardize San Francisco's effort to create 10,000 new jobs.
"It isn't just as easy as his pronouncing it, he's got to put in the work. His staff has to put some work into appropriate language there that protects our projects," said Lee.
Mayor Lee didn't rule out legal action to block the redevelopment measure. But, he also wouldn't commit to joining a lawsuit filed by the League of California Cities. He did promise a fight to protect those San Francisco projects.
ed lee, san francisco news, eric thomas
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans 41 min ago
- Supermodel Gisele's breastfeeding pic stirs debate
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 51 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
32 min ago