San Francisco News
SFSU classes cancelled because of power outage
SAN FRANCISCO -- San Francisco State University has canceled classes because of a power outage that happened late this morning, school officials said.
The university has been without service since about 11 a.m. because of a power outage that affected 2,400 San Francisco customers, Pacific Gas & Electric spokeswoman Fiona Chan said.
The power outage affected areas south of Holloway Avenue to Randolph Street and between Capital Avenue and Beverly Street, Chan said.
It also affected the Lake Merced area, along Brotherhood Way between Lake Merced Boulevard to St. Charles Avenue, Chan said.
Power was restored to most by noon, and as of 4:30 p.m., there were 624 customers still without service, including SFSU, Chan said.
It was not clear when power would be restored. Chan said power could be restored sometime this afternoon.
PG&E is working with the university to notify students and staff about the outage, Chan said.
All classes on the school's main campus that were scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. or later have been canceled, and the downtown campus was not affected by the power outage.
Most business offices will remain open until their scheduled closing times. The One Stop Student Center planned to close at 5 p.m. instead of its normal closing time of 7 p.m.
There have been no reports of injuries or significant damage, university spokeswoman Ellen Griffin said.
This power outage is unrelated to the loss of service in Pacifica.
san francisco state, power outage, PG&E, san francisco news
- SFPD SWAT in standoff with shooting suspect 48 min ago
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Photos: Massive fire damages vacant building in SF
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
20 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos