San Francisco News
False fire alarm prompts evacuation of Alcatraz
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Hundreds of people were evacuated from one of the most popular tourist attractions in San Francisco Sunday.
It was a great day for a tour until around 1,100 people were forced to leave. The incident started around 1:30 p.m. and turned out to be a big headache for people on the island.
The company that provides boat tours to the island says it was running at full capacity when a problem occurred with an alarm on the island. Tourists say they heard an alarm go off, but never smelled any smoke. A spokeswoman for the tour company told ABC7 the evacuations turned out to be a precautionary measure. That "precautionary measure" meant many tourists were forced to cut their trips to the famous landmark short.
"There was no smell. There was no smoke. There was no gases, but the alarm went off and rules are rules," evacuee Pam Staff said laughingly. "We've got to follow the rules at Alcatraz."
"The fire crew had to come in and check to see that there was no fire, and they did that, but by that time we already had to come back to get to our airplane tonight," Mega Gutridge said.
All tours were cancelled for the evening, creating a long line of people waiting to get refunds. The tour company says it is refunding money to all the people who paid but had their trip cut short.
alcatraz, fire, evacuation, san francisco news, cecilia vega
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington's Skagit River
- 5.7 earthquake hits Northern California 30 min ago
- Czech police say Palo Alto man suspected in 4 murders 42 min ago
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake hits Russia's Far East 32 min ago
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- Video: America's Cup teams practice on San...
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos