San Francisco News
False fire alarm prompts evacuation of Alcatraz
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Hundreds of people were evacuated from one of the most popular tourist attractions in San Francisco Sunday.
It was a great day for a tour until around 1,100 people were forced to leave. The incident started around 1:30 p.m. and turned out to be a big headache for people on the island.
The company that provides boat tours to the island says it was running at full capacity when a problem occurred with an alarm on the island. Tourists say they heard an alarm go off, but never smelled any smoke. A spokeswoman for the tour company told ABC7 the evacuations turned out to be a precautionary measure. That "precautionary measure" meant many tourists were forced to cut their trips to the famous landmark short.
"There was no smell. There was no smoke. There was no gases, but the alarm went off and rules are rules," evacuee Pam Staff said laughingly. "We've got to follow the rules at Alcatraz."
"The fire crew had to come in and check to see that there was no fire, and they did that, but by that time we already had to come back to get to our airplane tonight," Mega Gutridge said.
All tours were cancelled for the evening, creating a long line of people waiting to get refunds. The tour company says it is refunding money to all the people who paid but had their trip cut short.
alcatraz, fire, evacuation, san francisco news, cecilia vega
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday