San Francisco News
Yao Ming shoots PSA opposing shark fin soup
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The push to ban shark fins in California has received a celebrity endorsement that could influence public opinion, especially in the Chinese American community.
Houston Rockets center Yao Ming is a super star on and off the court, especially in the Chinese community. So people listen when he makes a public service announcement, like the one he filmed in San Francisco Thursday.
The PSA is the second in a series of for the shanghai-born Yao, who is campaigning against shark finning, the practice of cutting off a sharks fins to use them in soup, a luxury dish in Chinese restaurants.
Yao has joined with the organization Wild Aid, promising he will never eat it again and he is urging others to do the same.
But an expert at the Chinese Historical Society says the soup has been an esteemed delicacy for centuries. A proposed ban on shark fins chips away at tradition.
"That sort of thing is one of the dozens of little things people use to erode someone's cultural identity," Charlie Chin said.
But it is Asian American Assm. Paul Fong, D-Mountain View, who is co-author of the legislation to ban the sale and possession of shark fins.
"A culture giving up a soup is minor compared to the major disaster that could happen to our environment if sharks leave the ocean," Fong said.
San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee, who has said he opposes a ban, was more open Thursday.
"I'm willing to learn what it is that people are suggesting is the objective of banning and I'm open to that," he said.
A statewide poll of Chinese American opinions about the ban is expected to be released Friday.
animal, food, celebrity, san francisco news, carolyn tyler
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco 15 min ago
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Fremont roadway closed after car strikes utility pole 17 min ago
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado
- Nicasio lifts Rockies to 5-0 win over Giants 10 min ago
- Cespedes homer helps A's complete sweep of Royals 40 min ago
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Warriors PG Stephen Curry set to receive key to city
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife 41 min ago
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos