San Francisco News
No bail for cockpit disturbance suspect
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Accused cockpit crasher Rageit Al-Murisi appeared in federal court Friday morning and learned that he will remain in custody without bail until at least May 23, pending a mental evaluation.
Federal prosecutors testified that Al-Murisi told them he had been hearing voices and seeing hallucinations before he tried to break into the cockpit of an American Airlines flight last Sunday night. Prosecutors said that they believe Al-Murisi to be dangerous, even if the court were to release him on bail.
The 28-year-old Al-Murisi wore a red jumpsuit in court Friday. Nine members of his family from Vallejo lined the court's front row. Later, they told reporters that they want him to live with them. They do not see him as a threat. They want him to receive appropriate help.
Attorneys on either side of the case would not comment on the case.
san francisco international airport, american airlines, vallejo, terrorism, yemen, san francisco news, wayne freedman
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Dawson go-ahead field goal lifts 49ers by Seattle
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Time announces finalists for Person of the Year 46 min ago
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos