San Francisco News
Treasure Island welcomes 40-foot dancing woman sculpture
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 40-foot dancing woman who towered over the Nevada desert at last year's Burning Man festival is the newest resident of Treasure Island.
The installation of "Bliss Dance," a sculpture created by artist Marco Cochrane, was completed Wednesday as part of the Treasure Island Development Authority's public art policy, authority officials said.
Cochrane was born in Italy, raised in Northern California, and currently works out of a studio on Treasure Island.
Bliss Dance was described by city officials as "a marriage of classical sculpture technique and modern design."
It is a sculpture of a naked woman standing on one foot as she dances, hands in the air. The sculpture is lit by 1,000 LED lights controlled by a customized iPad application, which Cochrane hopes to offer for download soon, organizers said.
"I'm just excited to have her on the island," said Mirian Saez, director of island operations.
"It's going to attract lots of different people to the island, and that's our hope," she said. "The more people come out, the more people realize that Treasure Island is here as a destination for the Bay Area."
She said there is a lot of open space on the island and the authority has been trying to encourage new public art installations.
"We're hoping that with this one, others take note," she said.
Saez pointed out that art is an integral part of Treasure Island's history, and that artists like Diego Rivera and Miguel Covarrubias participated in the Golden Gate International Exposition, held on the island in 1939 and 1940.
"As always, we try to connect our past to the future, and with this display I think we're accomplishing that," she said.
An opening reception for the artwork is planned for May 26 at 6 p.m.
treasure island, san francisco news
- Man ID'd in fatal boating accident in Redwood City
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry
- Investigators reconstruct bus crash in California
- Another woman reported missing on Mt. Tam
- San Leandro High teacher arrested for sex with minor
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- Crews placing grass at 49ers' Levi's Stadium
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- SF Mayor pledges to fix public housing elevators 19 min ago
- Ryu pitches Dodgers past Giants 2-1 to avoid sweep
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: SF plastic bag ban; Boy killed in Antioch