San Francisco News
Treasure Island welcomes 40-foot dancing woman sculpture
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 40-foot dancing woman who towered over the Nevada desert at last year's Burning Man festival is the newest resident of Treasure Island.
The installation of "Bliss Dance," a sculpture created by artist Marco Cochrane, was completed Wednesday as part of the Treasure Island Development Authority's public art policy, authority officials said.
Cochrane was born in Italy, raised in Northern California, and currently works out of a studio on Treasure Island.
Bliss Dance was described by city officials as "a marriage of classical sculpture technique and modern design."
It is a sculpture of a naked woman standing on one foot as she dances, hands in the air. The sculpture is lit by 1,000 LED lights controlled by a customized iPad application, which Cochrane hopes to offer for download soon, organizers said.
"I'm just excited to have her on the island," said Mirian Saez, director of island operations.
"It's going to attract lots of different people to the island, and that's our hope," she said. "The more people come out, the more people realize that Treasure Island is here as a destination for the Bay Area."
She said there is a lot of open space on the island and the authority has been trying to encourage new public art installations.
"We're hoping that with this one, others take note," she said.
Saez pointed out that art is an integral part of Treasure Island's history, and that artists like Diego Rivera and Miguel Covarrubias participated in the Golden Gate International Exposition, held on the island in 1939 and 1940.
"As always, we try to connect our past to the future, and with this display I think we're accomplishing that," she said.
An opening reception for the artwork is planned for May 26 at 6 p.m.
treasure island, san francisco news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead' 24 min ago
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Seismic saddles in place on new Bay Bridge
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- 7 On Your Side looks into Lyft's donation policy
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos