San Francisco News
Beach report rates San Francisco beaches
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco has the distinction of having some of the cleanest and dirtiest beaches in California.
Heal The Bay presented its 21st annual beach report analyzing more than 400 coastal areas.
Ninety percent of the beaches got good ratings, and Ocean Beach at Balboa was rated among the cleanest. But Baker Beach is the only coastline in the Bay Area to be rated among the worst for water quality.
Cowell Beach in Santa Cruz county topped the "beach bummer list" while Capitola Beach rounded out the top 10. The problem with Baker Beach is the runoff from Lobos Creek.
"You should look at the beach report card and maybe avoid swimming or going to this particular beach and swimming right in front of the creek area, versus upshore or just downshore," said Amanda Griesbach, a beach quality scientist for Heal The Bay.
This year, the beach report was also extended to Oregon and Washington. In general, coastal beaches were cleaner than bayside areas because of the runoff from water treatment plants.
san francisco bay, ocean beach, san francisco news
- Two fires break out near each other in Hayward 25 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 23 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos