San Francisco News
Man fatally shot in Portola neighborhood
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 26-year-old man was fatally shot while walking in San Francisco's Portola neighborhood on Tuesday afternoon, a police spokesman said today.
The victim, identified by the medical examiner's office as Neilson Bates, was shot on San Bruno Avenue near Paul Avenue at about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Officer Albie Esparza said.
The suspect, described only as a black man in his 20s, came from behind Bates and opened fire, striking him multiple times, Esparza said. The shooter then ran away, possibly getting into a white Toyota that was seen leaving the scene, he said.
Bates, a San Francisco resident, was taken to San Francisco General Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 4:50 p.m., Esparza said.
No motive for the shooting had been established as of this morning, he said.
The homicide is San Francisco's 28th so far this year. At the same point in 2010, there had been 24 homicides in the city, Esparza said.
portola valley, shooting, crime, san francisco news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future 50 min ago
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 39 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events 11 min ago
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications 54 min ago
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos