San Francisco News
Man fatally shot in Portola neighborhood
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 26-year-old man was fatally shot while walking in San Francisco's Portola neighborhood on Tuesday afternoon, a police spokesman said today.
The victim, identified by the medical examiner's office as Neilson Bates, was shot on San Bruno Avenue near Paul Avenue at about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Officer Albie Esparza said.
The suspect, described only as a black man in his 20s, came from behind Bates and opened fire, striking him multiple times, Esparza said. The shooter then ran away, possibly getting into a white Toyota that was seen leaving the scene, he said.
Bates, a San Francisco resident, was taken to San Francisco General Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 4:50 p.m., Esparza said.
No motive for the shooting had been established as of this morning, he said.
The homicide is San Francisco's 28th so far this year. At the same point in 2010, there had been 24 homicides in the city, Esparza said.
portola valley, shooting, crime, san francisco news
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather 34 min ago
- World mourns death of Nelson Mandela
- Security guard captures driver who hit cop
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Bay Area family competing in national Christmas light competition
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl 21 min ago
- New option studied for treating back pain 6 min ago
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- GET FREE STUFF: Dog bow tie; makeup
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- New option studied for treating back pain
6 min ago