San Francisco News
SF police seek public's help in Gaelic football star injury case
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police are asking for help in solving a mysterious case that began on a football field. A Gaelic football star from Ireland is in a coma and investigators are searching for witnesses.
Mark McGovern, 22, is a Gaelic football star in Ireland, who came to San Francisco only nine days ago to play for a Gaelic club for the summer months, but he's in a coma instead and police are looking to figure out the mysterious injury that happened at last Saturday's football match.
The match was played on a field on Treasure Island late Saturday afternoon as around 50 spectators watched in the stands. While the ball was in play on the opposite end of the field, player McGovern collapsed on the other end.
"No one actually saw the assault occur, that's why we're asking for the public's help to come forward and speak with us a PD," said Officer Albie Esparza.
San Francisco police say no one is in custody, but they have identified a particular player on the opposing team.
"All we have is that there was a person standing over the player who was seen down on the ground and that person is a person of interest that the police department would like to speak to," said Esparza.
Police will not confirm published reports that the person of interest told the gravely injured McGovern "You won't get up from that."
Meanwhile, the young athlete's family flew in to San Francisco from Ireland to be at his side in the hospital. They joined Gaelic football teammates at a mass at St. Philips Church in Noe Valley, a standing room only service to pray for his recovery.
Gaelic football is the most popular spectator sport in Ireland and matches are played by kicking or passing a soccer-type ball down a field toward an H-shaped goal.
McGovern is one of the sports' most decorated players. Now, he is in critical condition at San Francisco General Hospital. Police are hoping to get photos or video shot by a spectator at that game from last Saturday and they encourage anyone with information to call them.
treasure island, SFPD, san francisco news
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz 34 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 46 min ago
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke 22 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday