San Francisco News
Couple robbed in home, detained when cops find pot
SAN FRANCISCO -- A man and woman living in San Francisco's Richmond District were robbed at gunpoint in their home early Friday morning and then detained when officers found dozens of marijuana plants inside, a police spokesman said.
The robbery occurred at about 1:55 a.m. at a home in the 500 block of 40th Avenue.
The 33-year-old woman and 30-year-old man were at home when four suspects stormed in through a back door and held them at gunpoint while taking items from the house, according to police.
The robbers took 40 marijuana plants, a television, an iPad, two cellphones and cash before fleeing.
Officers responding to the robbery then found more marijuana plants inside the home and detained the man and woman, police spokesman Lt. Troy Dangerfield said.
The names of the pair were not immediately available, and they have not been arrested, Dangerfield said.
The pair had a prescription from their doctor to grow 99 marijuana plants, and had less than that amount in the home, he said.
Paraphernalia was found that indicated the marijuana was being sold, but the pair said they only sold it to their friends and family, Dangerfield said.
However, their medical marijuana card was expired and "that's something (police) are going to look into," he said.
The robbers had not been found as of Friday morning. They are described as a white man, two black men and an Asian man, and "were more than likely known to the victims," Dangerfield said.
The white man is described as being 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing about 150 pounds, while the two black men are both described as being about 6 feet tall and 175 pounds, and the Asian man is described as being about 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 175 pounds, according to Dangerfield.
Anyone with information about the robbery is asked to call the Police Department's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411.
crime, drugs, marijuana, richmond district, san francisco news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...