San Francisco News
Accused art thief gives jailhouse interview
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- ABC7 went to the San Francisco County Jail Friday to visit with Mark Lugo, the New Jersey man accused of stealing a Picasso sketch from a San Francisco art gallery on Tuesday.
Lugo says it has been difficult to get in touch with his family because police took his cellphone and he does not know any people in the Bay Area, except for friends in Napa, where he was arrested Wednesday night. He says he does not have money and he is hoping someone will take the case pro-bono because of its high profile nature.
Lugo would not talk about the theft of Picasso's "Tete de Femme" drawing; the 1965 sketch is valued at $250,000. Lugo is accused of taking the drawing off the wall at Weinstein Gallery at Geary and Powell streets, walking out the door and then grabbing a cab nearby. He was caught on surveillance video with what police say is the Picasso under his arms as he walked past Lefty O'Doul's Restaurant. Police contacted the cab driver, traced Lugo to the Palomar Hotel on 4th Street, then eventually to his friends' place in Napa. The Picasso, out of its frame, was there, neatly wrapped for a Fed Ex box.
Lugo has reportedly worked at high profile New York restaurants in the past. I asked him how the jail food was and he says, "I've tasted better."
crime, art, union square, san francisco news, don sanchez
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 36
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- Crews search for person after boat accident in Brentwood 44 min ago
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland 57 min ago
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Brother of man killed by drunk driver throws first pitch 18 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter 21 min ago
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday