San Francisco News
Bicyclist dies after crash in SF on Wednesday
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 25-year-old bicyclist who was critically injured in a collision with a truck in San Francisco on Wednesday morning has died, according to the medical examiner's office.
Nancy Ho, of San Francisco, was traveling east on Mission Street when she was struck by a westbound Berkeley Farms truck as she turned left onto Fremont street around 8 a.m., San Francisco police Lt. Troy Dangerfield said.
Ho was taken to San Francisco General Hospital to be treated for a serious head wound and other injuries, he said. She was not wearing a helmet.
Although both Ho and the truck driver had a green light, she was making an illegal left turn, Dangerfield said.
Left turns are only permitted for taxis and San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency buses, according to posted signs.
A video camera at a nearby business captured the collision, and police are reviewing the footage, he said.
Dangerfield said that bicyclists, motorists and pedestrians should be alert when navigating San Francisco streets.
"Everyone has to share the roadway and be cautious," he said.
Investigators do not suspect that drugs or alcohol played a role in the collision. The driver of the truck, owned by the Newark-based company Sunrise Food Distributors Inc., was cooperative with detectives.
San Francisco police did not provide any updates about the investigation this morning. The intersection was closed for a couple of hours while investigators gathered evidence.
san francisco news
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 43 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
45 min ago
- Some stores offering last minute holiday...
1 min ago