San Francisco News
Rescuers ask public to help find entangled sea lions
SAN FRANCISCO -- Marine mammal rescuers are asking for the public's help in spotting two sea lions that became entangled in ocean trash and eluded several attempts at capture.
The sea lions -- a juvenile weighing about 200 pounds, and an older animal weighing roughly 400 pounds -- were spotted on San Francisco's Pier 39 with strands of wire or plastic wrapped around their necks, Marine Mammal Center spokesman Jim Oswald said.
The animals were last seen on Tuesday, and while they were in good condition at the time, would-be rescuers fear that being entangled in trash will prevent the animals from foraging, leaving them vulnerable to disease and predators.
The rescuers are also concerned that the strands will cut into their skin as they grow, he said.
Oswald said they are hoping to find the sea lions on a beach, which would make it easier to capture them.
Rescuers tried to reach the animals four times while they rested on the pier, but their attempts were unsuccessful.
"Once the animals are in the water, they're in their own element," he said.
Oswald said rescuers are ready to try again -- hopefully on solid ground this time -- if the sea lions reappear.
"It's a wait-and-see game at this point," he said.
The public is asked to report any injured sea lion sightings to the Marine Mammal Center's 24-hour tip line at (415) 289-7325.
animal, animals in peril, fisherman's wharf, san francisco news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos