San Francisco News
Inmate found dead inside jail cell
SAN FRANCISCO -- An inmate was found dead in his San Francisco jail cell early this morning, and authorities believe the death was a suicide, a sheriff's spokeswoman said.
The man was found dead at about 4:30 a.m. at the jail at the Hall of Justice on Bryant Street, spokeswoman Eileen Hirst said.
He was discovered while breakfast was being distributed to the inmates, Hirst said.
She said she could not release any more details about the incident or the inmate, who police said was 48 years old. His name is being withheld until the medical examiner's office notifies his family of the death.
A joint investigation into the death is being conducted by the sheriff's department, medical examiner's office and the Police Department's homicide unit, Hirst said.
crime, inmates, san francisco news
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist 10 min ago
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
2 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos