San Francisco News
Child injured in hit-and-run improving in hospital
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 9-year-old boy who was injured during a hit-and-run in San Francisco's South of Market neighborhood Thursday remains in critical condition today, according to a San Francisco General Hospital spokeswoman.
Ryan White's condition is improving. No further details were released today.
Hayward resident Andrew Vargas, 21, was arrested and booked into jail on suspicion of felony hit-and-run and driving under the influence in connection with the incident, police Lt. Troy Dangerfield said.
Ryan was walking ahead of a family member while crossing Mission Street around 10:30 p.m. when he was struck by a white pickup truck turning left onto Mission Street. The truck had been driving north on New Montgomery Street, which is a one-way southbound street, police said.
Vargas allegedly didn't stop after hitting Ryan, and continued west on Mission Street before hitting numerous other cars. He then drove onto a nearby highway, police said.
Vargas was stopped in Hayward around 11:30 p.m. after his pickup was spotted by local police.
Witnesses identified him and his truck as those involved in the hit-and-run, and a preliminary screening indicated his blood alcohol level was above the legal limit, Dangerfield said.
hit and run, crime, crash, hayward, san francisco news
- Statewide AMBER Alert issued for abducted LA kids 49 min ago
- Woman found dead in Castro Valley home was shot
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Union says fewer teachers facing layoffs in California
- Man fatally stuck by Caltrain near Atherton station
- Fire destroys home, displaces 15 residents in Richmond
- Man gets 110 years to life for Hayward teen's murder
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans
- Over $7,000 raised for police dog battling cancer 17 min ago
- Online naming contest open for trails at Glen Canyon
- Paul Stanley: Kiss miffed at Rock Hall over snub
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Most Wanted suspect; Sierra LaMar bench
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos