San Francisco News
Man charged in hit-and-run of boy in SF is free on bail
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The man charged in a hit-and-run accident that critically injured a 9-year old boy in San Francisco is free on bail.
Andrew Alan Vargas is expected to be arraigned Thursday on felony drunk driving and hit-and-run charges. He was caught in Hayward last Thursday night, just a few hours after police say he struck Ryan White at the corner of Mission and New Montgomery streets.
It happened as White's family walked back to their hotel after the Phillies-Giants game. The Whites live near Philadelphia. White suffered a brain injury along with several broken bones and a lacerated liver. His condition has been upgraded from critical to serious.
In a statement, White's parents said: "We would like to express our deep gratitude to the people of San Francisco and the Bay Area for the outpouring of support and sympathy for our son Ryan."
hit and run, crime, crash, hayward, pedestrian struck, children, san francisco news
- Recology plant fire creates heavy smoke in SF
- Frigid Bay Area weather takes deadly turn
- Only On 7: Federal drug agents sweep Tenderloin
- Protesters halt Google's commuter bus in SF
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday