San Francisco News
DUI suspect back in jail following court appearance
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The man accused of injuring a nine-year-old boy in San Francisco last week is back in jail.
The family of Andrew Vargas declined to speak with the media as they left the courtroom, but prosecutor Omid Talai told reporters the judge granted his motion to raise Vargas' bail to $465,000.
Vargas is accused of injuring nine-year-old Ryan White with his vehicle last week at a crosswalk in San Francisco. White was visiting San Francisco from Philadelphia with his family when the incident happened. The child was upgraded from serious to critical condition earlier this week.
"I just ask that your thoughts and prayers be with Ryan and his family," prosecutor Talai said.
The attorney for the suspect says he's distraught over what happened.
"Andrew's distraught, no question about it," defense attorney Randy Knox said. "He's remorseful. He's ashamed of how he acted and he hopes Ryan will make a full recovery."
Police say the Toyota pickup driven by 21-year-old Vargas hit White has he walked across the street at Mission and New Montgomery following a Giants-Phillies game at nearby AT&T Park last week. Police say Vargas then plowed into several cars as he fled the scene.
Witnesses were able to give police the license plate number of Vargas' vehicle, which was sent out in a police bulletin. Hayward police received that bulletin and spotted the Toyota with its front end damaged.
Vargas was arrested after he was issued a field sobriety test.
Vargas is a 21-year-old who just finished college at California State University East Bay. Vargas was planning on going to graduate school and had a good job with the justice courts in Alameda.
hit and run, crime, crash, hayward, pedestrian struck, children, san francisco news, vic lee
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed 14 min ago
- Another mistake found in BART union contract 17 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water 35 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- 7 OYS puts waterproof smartphone case to the test 11 min ago
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban 14 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
40 min ago
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos